Inspiration for Activism!
- Tireless advocate for nursing as a discipline, and the value of nurse-patient relationships.
- Nurtured networking and connections between nurses with different points of view, and between nurses and people from other disciplines.
- Beloved mentor to nurses over 3 generations.
- Used “Graycisms” to raise awareness – for example she urged ending the use of the phrase “doctor’s orders” and replace it with “physician prescriptions” alongside “nurse prescriptions” to guide coordinated and comprehensive care.
- Co-founder of the American Psychiatric Nurses Association (with Karen Babich, Judith Maurin, and Shirley Smoyak).
- Founding Editor of Journal of the American Psychiatric Nurses Association (JAPNA) along with Nikki Polis.
More information here