Inspiration for Activism
- The heart of the documentary “Playing on Our Sentiments” the story of the Hale Nurses Union organized in 1954 in Massachusetts.
- Graduated from Lawrence Memorial Hospital School of Nursing in 1941
- Began her career as a nurse at the Contagious Hospital, next door to the Hale
- Active in the Massachusetts Nurses Association by 1950
- Worked for a law that gave nurses the right to collective bargaining, and once that law passed, worked with other nurses at the Hale to form an MNA bargaining unit then elected to be their leader (chairperson).
- At 98, continues to support the struggles of nurses everywhere for good contracts.