# 1 “Inspiration for Activism”
- Born into slavery as Isabella Baumfree, known by her self-given name of
- Sojourner Truth
- Abolitionist and women’s rights activist
- Best known for her “Ain’t *I a woman” speech, demanding equal human rights for women as well as for black people
- Strove to improve cleanliness and quality of care at Freedman’s Relief Association in Washington, D.C.
- Advocated for formal nursing education, even though she herself never had that opportunity For more information click here and here Sojourner Truth